Monday 13 January 2014

Driving their parents crazy

Evan had his birthday yesterday and today I took him to the motor registry to get his Learner's permit.  He said that he is the first of his group of friends to get their L's. He was a bit nervous and would have been quite happy to plod along and not do anything about it unless I told him that I was taking him.

I remember when I got my L's I was keen to get them and I don't remember any assistance from my parents.  I could be wrong and maybe they did help get me to the motor registry as it was all the way over on the other side of Canberra.  But back then we were all quite comfortable with catching buses to get our way around to where ever we wanted to go in Canberra. So I think I was responsible for organising my own way there.

I gave Evan his first driving lesson this afternoon at low tide on Boambee beach.  I was pleasantly surprised at how well he did.  I have to admit though, it was Steve who gave Sarah her first lesson on the beach. It was up to me to teach her on the road, and that was one hair raising experience.  The first bit on a deserted piece of road was quite good.  She stalled the car a few times as expected and did the regulation bunny hops of a learner driver.  The positioning on the road and timing stops at intersections needed a lot of work, but that was not a problem as there was hardly any other traffic.  It was the bit where we got out onto the streets proper that scared me, and the speedy driving up Orara Way, looking at just how terribly close the verge was and trying hard not to imagine us going over the edge.  Of course the practise at this sort of driving is so essential so that they can be good drivers once they get their licences.  It is just harsh on the poor instructing driver.

Now I get to do it all again with Evan.  Those first few weeks of getting him positioned on the road are going to be terrifying. It is the job of the instructor to remain calm (outwardly) at all times.  So while uttering words of encouragement and constructive advice there is an inner turmoil going on where you are imagining hefty insurance claims and possible medical emergencies.  Breathe and relax.........

It really is wonderful to see them grow up and become more and more independent and responsible.  It is also nice to be a part of their growth and development.  And this time instead of just a couple of months break from having a learner driver, once Evan gets his license I have nice long wait of three years before it's Harry's turn to step up to the plate.

1 comment:

  1. Evan has been seventeen for more than six months. He almost has all of his hours, but its showing no compulsion to actually go and get his license.

    ReplyDelete